Income risk

    Reflection: 

    I had some trouble with the last post. I thought there were not many connections I can write. When I finished the first paragraph connecting team structure and opportunism, I just stuck there and did not have any idea. After that, some personal issues happen, I was kind of sick so I did not finish the post and did not come to class last week.

    Income risk:

    I plan to be a gameplay programmer after I graduated, and my ideal companies are Capcom Japan and Ubisoft Shanghai. I choose Capcom because I really love their game and I believe Capcom should have pretty good working environment considering how many great games they already make. Ubisoft Shanghai is good choice because Ubisoft is huge game company with many promotion opportunities. Also, Shanghai is close to my hometown which means I can see my parents and friends regularly. Capcom gives a newly graduated programmer 3.3 million yen per year, which is ok in Osaka, Japan. As to the latter one, I don't really know the salary. However, I think it will be easier to work in China because I can get family support and I'm familiar with Shanghai.

    As to the decisions I make which reduce the future income risk, first, I have Computer Science as part of my major, which allows me to master many programming languages such C, C++, and Java. And C++ is the basic of many game engines, which I will use in the future job as a gameplay programmer.
Having those programming skills will help me to get the job as a gameplay programmer and hopefully reduce my income risk.

    Second, I learn a lot of stuff about game design and take a video game design course which is taught by a experienced game designer and developer. I think those knowledge about video game design is also helpful for me to get a job and in turn reducing the future income risk.

    As to things that would increase the future income risk, first, I do not have any experience with budget and do not have a plan of spending money, which might be a huge problem if I decide to not receive money from my family. I can think about the situation that if a new game console with cutting edge technology comes out, I will use my salary to buy the new stuff and may result in only a little amout of money left so I have to eat instant noodles for the rest of the month.

    Second, even though I have a clear sight of my future which seems to reduce the income risk, I have some serious personal issues which affect my execution and might also be the problem with my job and income in the future. I'm receiving some kind of therapy right now and hopefully things will be fine in the future.

    Some of my best friends are already working at software companies. I think they manage the job hunting situation pretty well. There are two things I think I can learn from them. First, they start looking for a job really early, some of them are trying to get a job during junior year. Second, they always go to the career fair, try their luck and see if there are some opportunities. However, some of them also choose to stop working and go to the university again to get a master degree, so that promotion may become easier after they get the degree. In that case, I think what I really need is the working experience as a game developer rather than a master degree.



Comments

  1. This post came in too late for me to review it. I may get to it later, but I might not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Opportunism

Team Structure

My own experience with organization and transaction cost